Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Esc closes configuration window » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 3518

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/07/2013 20:25:09

Using AWM 8.0 beta 3 I noticed that pressing Esc closes the configuration window. Is this expected behavior? Normally Esc only closes subwindows like Open file etc. However, I do not regard the configuration window to be a subwindow (although technically it maybe is). For me it is AWM's main window. Therefore I would expect the keyboard shortcut for closing the configuration window to be only ALT+F4. Could Esc be canceled as a shortcut for closing the configuration window? It would be much more logical IMO.

FYI: I noticed this when I was trying to play with the Clipboard Templates Library where I wanted to undo something. Very often Esc is the way to do that. In this case however, the configuration window closed on me and I lost my latest changes, because I had not pressed Apply yet (as I was playing with the settings in the Clipboard Templates Library).

Gerard Booth
Advanced user

Posted: 07/08/2013 00:05:43

At first I thought this behaviour was quite handy, but a few times I have accidentally closed the config window when I meant for it to stay open. So I am with Pim on this one. If it is intentional behaviour can the hotkey be configurable as it is for opening the config window.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/17/2013 15:59:45

Hello Gentlemen

The configuration window is designed to look like the standard Windows dialog window, so this behavior has been implemented by design. We don't plan to make this key action configurable.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/17/2013 16:49:57

Hello Bogdan,

The configuration window is designed to look like the standard Windows dialog window, so this behavior has been implemented by design.
Can you please explain why that is? As explained in my post I do not experience it as a dialog window, but as the main window of the application.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/22/2013 12:01:51

Hello Pim

Can you please explain why that is?

Because the configuration window is a settings window of the program, not the main window. We assumed that such design would be more convenient.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/22/2013 15:20:48

Hello Bogdan,

Because the configuration window is a settings window of the program, not the main window.
But then the question is: what is the main window?

We assumed that such design would be more convenient.
In what way would it be more convenient?

Since there is no main window on a higher level than the configuration window, I disagree with you on this point. IMO from a user perspective, like I wrote in one of the previous posts, the configuration window is the main window. So I am not (yet) getting why it would be more convenient.

I am not asking these questions because I want to have it my way. Just trying to have a discussion about some fundamentals here ;)

If based on your own ideas you still want to keep Esc closing the configuration window, that is fine with me, although I do not find it logical. However, and this is rather important, in that case you have to show the confirmation question "Do you want to save the changes?" if a setting has been changed. Right now this question is not asked if a setting has been changed and I close the configuration window by clicking Esc, but it is asked if I close it in any other way. This is how I originally lost my changes when I first discovered that Esc closes the configuration window.

Best regards.

Gerard Booth
Advanced user

Posted: 07/22/2013 20:08:20

I have always considered the configuration window to be 'Actual Windows Manager'  i.e. the 'Main' part of the software.

Anyway as Pim suggests, at the very least the confirmation dialog needs to be implemented on the press of the escape key, if the user has not clicked the 'apply' button after making changes.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/30/2013 13:53:34

Hello gentlemen

Although the configuration window can be considered as the main window, primarily it is the settings window of the program. So we decided to design this window to look like a standard Windows dialog window. In this case the Esc button equals the Cancel button of the window, which means there is no confirmation dialog should appear.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register