Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Bugs with AMM 4.3 beta 2 with 3rd party Start Menus on W8 , Results of tests with Stardock Start8 and Classic Shell Start Menu » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 4229

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/13/2012 01:46:06

Buena_Vista wrote:

running 4.3 amm beta 2 on w8 release preview with all current updates as of 11/12/2012 on an acer iconia dual-touchscreen 6120.

No obvious freezes or errors in the beta - although I stuck to mainly testing amm with two 3rd party start menu "restoration" softwares, both of which work very well for those who miss the start menu in w8. One general comment:

Would be better if the buttons to move or resize windows were a bit larger on touch screen devices.

For Windows 8 and 3rd party start menus (only one of the start menus at a time actually installed to avoid any risk of conflicts between them):

1. I really like the ability to open the w8 start menu in a smaller window on the desktop. why m/s didn't support this is just bizarre.
2. Incompatible with Stardocks Start8. At one point I had both start menus on the screen overlapping each other. After some reconfiguration, I got the AMM start button on one screen with the Start8 screen on the other. This is obviously not the perfect solution for folks wanting the "start menu" on both screens. Using the windows key on the left always opens the start8 start menu, which is good.
3. Incompatible with Classic Shell start menu for w8. In this case, the amm start button was on one screen and the classic shell on the other, but when clicking the amm button, the classic shell start menu opens on the primary screen only. The amm start screen in a "window" never opens at all.
Both of these start menu programs are likely to be popular on w8 at least until m/s comes to their senses and adds a start menu back to the desktop, so you may want to take a look at them. I'm thinking of staying with w7, myself....

These two incompatibilities do not freeze up the machine or anything, just do not get the best of all possible user interfaces.

Thanks for the opportunity to beta test the new version.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/13/2012 03:38:00

Hello.

2. For now the Start8 start button can be placed only on the primary system taskbar, it is the feature of Start8 itself. And for now our programs can't bring the Start8 start menu from our taskbar, as in case with ClassicShell.

3. I can't reproduce this. ClassicShell start menu appears on the secondary as well as on the primary taskbar. But yes, in the case when ClassicShell is enabled, you won't be able to bring normal Wsndows start menu from AMM taskbar. Because AMM don't know how ClassicShell is configured, and always brings its start menu when ClassicShell is enabled.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register