Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Different Virtual Desktop on each monitor » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 6843

Jackson Allen

Posted: 07/30/2009 17:01:39

I know I asked if this could be done now in the general list and got and answer that it could not, but would be added to the enhancement list. Because everyone may not read all the lists and so others may comment on the feature I thought I would post it here also.

I would like to have the ability to have different Virtual Desktops on each monitor. That is treat them separate and not as one big Virtual desktop.

Be able to define N number of Virtual Desktops for monitor 1 and N number of different Virtual Desktops for monitor 2. Then when selecting Virtual Desktop 1 on monitor 1, the display on monitor 2 would not be affected. And vice or versa for monitor 2.

I think this gives a better use of multiple monitors. With one monitor and Virtual Desktops, it is sort of like having multiple monitors with less display area. When you have multiple monitors and the Virtual Desktops switches both monitors, it sort of defeats the idea of having multiple monitors in that different applications can take up the full on the different monitors and you may not want to switch away from the application on one monitor to be able to access an application you have running in a different Virtual desktop already.

Jack Allen

Peter Marks

Posted: 07/05/2010 07:39:48

I believe that what I'd like to do cannot yet be done with AWM.  I'd love to be informed otherwise, but if not here it is as a request.

I have 3 monitors arranged L-M-R.  My default mode of operation is this:

+ L displays email, skype, and any other active communication programs

+ R displays system status and remote server screens, using a dozen virtual workdesks, cycling slowly thru them

+ M is my main screen - programming, CAD, photoshop, ... - each activity grouped to its own virtual workdesk.

The VWs of R and M are completely independent; I would like to switch the R VW without affecting L or M, and the M VW without affecting L or R.  This is what the preceding (year old) request was about.

In addition, though, I would like to be able to steal L, R, or both for the M task - leaving L/R untouched if not needed - and while working with the multiscreen M task have both of these choices:

+ Close down the multiscreen usage of the M task and revert to the default described above (in the state that I left it)

+ Bring up the usurped L and/or R default function, execute a quickie, and get back to the multiscreen activity that was interrupted.

(I think this would fit neatly into the current AWM model - though not its current implementation - by allowing several profiles to be active at once, with "visibilities" controlled by a stack.  That's just a guess, though.)

When do you suppose I can expect all this capability in AWM?  :D

Thanks,

Peter Marks

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/12/2010 07:23:59

Jackson, Peter,

Thank you for your posts. We are working to solve the task. Unfortunately, I don't able to say you about the timing of.

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 04/09/2011 04:10:54

Jack, Peter,

I am glad to inform you that at last you can try out the subject feature either with the beta 2 of Actual Window Manager 6.5 or beta 1 of Actual Virtual Desktops 3.0.

Please let me know you thoughts about the usability and usefulness of the subject feature. Thanks!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register