Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Restore all open programs on reboot » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 7712

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 07/31/2013 01:59:09

I don't know why I've never thought to request this here, but a feature that I've direly yearned for over the years --

-Ability to restore all open documents and programs upon system reboot

I realize the ability to restore folders is already present, but the ability to restore open documents/programs would be enormously helpful. When I have machine or program updates need to be applied through a system reboot, I often delay rebooting my machine because of how many currently open documents, programs, files, and windows I have open. It's an ordeal to go through all of them at once, saving and closing them, and then it's even more of an ordeal to reopen all of them after the system's rebooted (and particularly, to remember all that were open!).

Is there any chance we could get this as a preliminary feature?

For reference, the most "problematic" ones that are typically the most tedious are open/unsaved PDF files (in Adobe Acrobat), numerous Notepads open with unsaved text/notes, and Word/Excel documents. Of course, I usually have multiple browsers open as well (with hundreds of tabs spread across), but with my browsers' "Session Manager", restoring them and their tabs is simple and automated. It's the manually iterating through Notepads/PDFs/documents/spreadsheets that is the most annoying, having to save everything at once, especially when many things are in a "temporary" state, that isn't quite ready for saving/committing.

And then upon reboot, it's a pain to have to bring everything back up (and remember all that what was up!).

So far, I've found two third party programs that attempt to assist in this:

CacheMyWork -- free program, however, it can't restore documents or information from within an application, and also, it can only restore the first instance of a program (e.g., it would only reopen a blank Adobe Acrobat, and not the 10+ Acrobat's open with PDF's in them). As such, this program isn't very useful in my case.

SmartClose -- another free program that I've just discovered, with the added ability to (apparently) restore application data from snapshotted cache. This is exciting news, although I have yet to test it. I'm a bit wary that the program hasn't been updated since early 2011, however :/ But if it works, it works!

UPDATE_1:

I've found another program that may potentially offer the best solution:

Twinsplay (http://www.zinstall.com/products/twinsplay/learn-more-about-twinsplay)

It appears that this may restore program/window files and content, but I have yet to test. I'll report back if any of these solutions work (thush voiding the feature request).

UPDATE_2:

After reading over Twinsplay abilities, I've realized a refining of this feature request for an even more amazing feature -- ability to save and restore virtual desktop sessions completely.

I use (and love) the virtual desktop feature, often micromanaging a desktop assignment each to areas such as programming, general computing, writing, etc. But what if there was a feature to save completely an entire virtual desktop state? In other words, save all open and running programs/files/windows within a desktop, including all of their associated data/memory/files, providing the ability to completely restore a desktop session at command?

The ability to jump right back into a "Programming" desktop session, with all programs, files, windows, and states restored with a click or two of the mouse, would be otherworldly!

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 09/08/2013 09:31:16

Just as an update -- Twinsplay does not do what I was hoping, and it doesn't work particularly well, either.

So if there's any room on the feature-request slate, I'm on my hands and knees begging for the ability to restore programs/folders/windows upon reboot! :)

Thanks.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 09/11/2013 00:16:17

Are you meaning this feature has been added to AWM? Or for Twinsplay?

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/26/2013 20:26:53

Hello Steve

We'll consider your request about the ability to save Virtual Desktop session.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register