Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «English wording change » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 2594

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 05/04/2013 21:11:33

Just a minor suggestion for the wording of the taskbar right-click function to gather windows to/from monitors --

I suggest changing the wording of "Get here all windows from" to "Gather windows from". It fits more in line with the "Gather all windows" function above it, and also flows better in English.

Anyway, it's not a problem, of course, just a minor suggestion for improvement. It has caused me to pause momentarily a couple times, confused on which one I should be doing.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 05/05/2013 02:15:24

Hello Steve,

This would indeed be more consistent and better English. However, I think the wording should be "Gather all windows from", to be consistent with the other options and to be precise in what it means. Bogdan, this really is a no-brainer for Actual Tools, I think.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/29/2013 16:10:33

Hello gentlemen.

Could you explain why the "Gather all windows" is better English and more consistent than "Get here all windows"?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 05/29/2013 18:32:56

Hello Bogdan,

Could you explain why the "Gather all windows" is better English and more consistent than "Get here all windows"?
There are several reasons why this is the case:
1. "Get here all windows" is not proper English. It should be "Get all windows here" to be grammatically correct.
2. "Gather" is shorter than "Get here" and therefore is clearer when used in a menu option. Personally I also think the meaning of "Gather" is clearer than "Get here".
3. Currently the commands are inconsistent and I think that is why Steve started this thread in the first place. The menu now has the items "Get here all windows from", as well as "Gather all windows here". They should use the same wording, because the meaning is the same. The only difference is that one option gathers the windows from all other monitors and the other only gathers the windows from a specific monitor. Because two different terminologies are used, the us er (in any case Steve and myself) stop and think whether besides the monitors wh ere the windows are gathered from, there is also another difference. The latter is not true however. Therefore the same wording is much better from a UI perspective. And together with the reasons 1 and 2 mentioned earlier, the logical conclusion would be to consistently use "Gather". The menu would then include "Gather all windows here" and "Gather windows from".

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/24/2013 17:23:54

Hello Pim

Thank you for the explanation.

You've convinced us to consider renaming this item.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register