Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Do not allow windows to overlap » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 3510

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 01/19/2012 07:58:56

When I write time I am regularly using a time writing program alongside with the Windows calculator. I calculate the total amount of work I have done and then enter it in my time writing program. For every client I need to open the time registration window in my time writing program, so every time that window opens in the middle of the screen. I have a specific setting that sets the windows calculator as always on top. So if I use these 2 programs together, the time registration window partially disappears under the calculator. I would like an option where I can identify 2 (or perhaps more) windows that should never overlap each other, because they are to be used together.

I have tried setting a placement restriction and an alignment at startup (not simultaneously though). Both solutions work, but have some drawbacks:
1. I am using 2 monitors with different resolutions, so for restricting placement I have to choose a percentage of the current monitor, otherwise the area is only valid for the right monitor. However, because these monitors have different resolutions, the behaviour is not the same on each monitor. For 2 monitors, a pixel restriction per monitor would be better, but that option is not available.
2. I need to use 2 (or more) specific settings to achieve what I want, one for each window.
3. If I am just using my time writing program or calculator I do not want the alignment or restrict placement options to have an effect, but using placement restriction or alignment it does

I can think of other occasions where I would not want to have windows overlapping. I therefore think this feature could be very useful.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/20/2012 01:14:54

Hello Pim,

Thanks for the post.

Why don't you use the "Desktop Divider" feature to solve this?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 01/20/2012 01:34:25

Hello Vasiliy,

There are two reasons for that:
1. Desktop divider is unusable for me at this moment as described here. Not being able to normally maximize a window messes up some of my specific settings and also disallows me to do what I want to be able to do with windows quickly.
2. How would the Desktop divider help me when the issue is that the time registration window opens as a new window partially behind the calculator window, every time I have to write another item of time?

Best regards.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/24/2012 00:38:44

Hello Pim,

Thanks for the response.

I've added your suggestion to our list of feature requests.
We'll consider this.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register