Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login

Topic: «Snapping doesn't appear to work with Outlook 2003 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 4943

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 05/04/2013 07:36:35

I'm using the default Snap settings which appear to be global. All window types snap to the edges of the screen EXCEPT Outlook 2003. Word 2003 works. I'm just wondering if this is due to Outlook OR I've inadvertently set something that changes the behavior in Outlook.

Thanks,

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 05/04/2013 17:28:12

An update -  further information. The Avast windows doesn't snap either. I don't have a window specification for Avats but I do for Outlook 2003.

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 05/13/2013 21:40:38

I don't know if you've been able to recreate this or not. While my Outlook has been functioning fine there is some software corruption in it. I know this because I ran the Detect and Repair function recently and it said it could not complete the process due to some corruption. I'm not going to do anything about it as I expect to be upgrading my Office in the near future. When I do, this Outlook/AWM problem may go away.

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 05/19/2013 05:30:23

A further upd ate. I've now refined the identification of the problem, and an explanation of why I have only recently noticed it.

If the Outlook window is by title as well as window class and program path. A few months ago I added more rules for Outlook 2003 and at the same time added a title id for the main window. I specified "Inbox - Microsoft Outlook" and Exact Match. With this se tting the window does not position correctly (meaning the window is not identified as the target window, and the window does NOT snap to the monitor edges.

When I remove the additional Title ID, the window is identified as the target window and it does snap to the monitor edges.

My conclusion is that:
(1) When the window first appears, its title is not "Inbox -  Microsoft Outlook" although that is what the user sees.
(2) There is not a compatibility problem between Outlook 2003 and AWM. The issue is Outlook 2003 pulling a swifty (a slight of hand).

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/29/2013 15:14:40

Hello Greg

Do you mean it is not a problem for you anymore?

Best regards.

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 05/30/2013 12:54:21

Hi Bogdan,

Apologies for leaving the question unclear. There have been many twists and turns to this issue, a conversation I have been having publicly with myself. :-)

I have identified a problem with Outlook 2013. I think I can answer this question with the hypothesis:

Greg's issue can be explained if it can be established that Outlook 2013 opens it's main window with one name but immediately changes it to something else.

The user never sees the initial name, only the second. As a consequence, the window title the user uses to identify the target window (Window caption) is not the one AWM sees. (AWM sees the first, not the second name.)

Is there a way I can work out what name (window title) AWM sees when Outlook 2013 first starts?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/17/2013 11:17:21

Hello Greg

Could you clarify - is the problem with Outlook 2003 or with Outlook 2013?

Best regards.

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 06/23/2013 08:32:30

Hi Bogdan,

It's Outlook 2003 I was reporting on. Yes, I know, OLD software. I'll be upgrading/moving on soon so one wonders whether or not it's worth pursuing, unless there are lots of clients still using it.

After all the 'insights' I reported, I've gone back to the beginning and now feel I still don't understand what's going on with Outlook 2003. My latest theory is that Outlook does it's own window size and placement management and apart fr om being able to control wh ere the first window is placed and sized, and probably not by specifying the window type or title, AWM can't influence window sizes and placement.

I now think Outlook remembers the main window size and position when it is closed. and that's what it uses next time.

As I will be upgrading soon I'm about to wash my hands of Outlook 2003. Unless Actual Tools thinks it is important, I think we should drop it and close the problem.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/24/2013 14:22:03

Hello Greg

Ok, let's close the problem until someone else will experience it.

Best regards.

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 10/20/2013 04:14:42

A further update to this particular issue with Outlook 2003. I'm about to abandon 2003 for another email program (eM Client) but I think I now understand why my window rules for Outlook 2003 appear to work sometimes and not others. I post this in case it helps explain issues with other programs.

Outlook 2003 starts a hidden process that puts an icon in the system tray. When one quits Outlook this hidden program often remains running. It identifies as having the same window type as the main Outlook windows. After starting Outlook, AWM sees the Outlook window appear and triggers an action. If I quit Outlook and start it again, the window rule does not trigger because the hidden program is still there and AWM window rules will only trigger once during an application session.

Voila, AWM is working as designed BUT it appears to not be working properly.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login