Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login

Topic: «Stay on top status switches on without any specific action » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 4619

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 11/16/2012 14:14:32

Hello everybody,

I have noticed that the stay on top title button switches on regularly without any conscious action from my part (of course with the corresponding stay on top status). I have not been able to track the issue down yet, but am wondering whether anybody else experiences the same issue. That might be helpful in tracking it down. I am using AWM 7.3 beta 2 on Vista ultimate 32-bit, but the issue may have started with an earlier version of AWM.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/20/2012 01:23:24

Hello Pim.

What applications have you noticed the problem with?

Please check whether enabling of the "freeze" option (Title buttons > Stay always-on-top > freeze) solves the problem for particular application?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 11/20/2012 12:51:28

Hello Bogdan,

Thank you for your response. It can happen with any program, i.e. Outlook 2007, Firefox, Directory Opus to name a few. Very often I notice it when I open some new window of program, but I do not see it, because for reasons yet unknown the current (usually maximized) window is all of a sudden set to stay on top. I am reluctant to use the freeze option, as the status change can happen with many programs, which will mean a lot of work. Moreover, if I do that I will never know what triggers the status change.

I do not recall exactly since when I have encountered this issue, but it cannot be more than a couple of months. It used to work perfectly. Last but not least, in the end I (and perhaps others too) will benefit more if I can find the real cause. Of course I will keep you informed. And if others encounter the same issue, I (we) am (are) glad to hear about it.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/20/2012 21:52:28

It can't be the hotkey for the "stay always-on-top" causing this, right?

Could you send us your configuration?

How much time does it usually takes to encounter the issue?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 11/25/2012 10:19:29

Hello Bogdan,

It cannot be related to the hotkey, because it also happens when using just my mouse. Version 7.3 final has the same issue.

How much time does it usually takes to encounter the issue?
It can take a very short time or a very long time. It seems to be happening when I am doing quite a lot with my windows, like moving them from one monitor to the next and/or other things. I still cannot discover a pattern, but I am keeping my eyes and mind open, as sometimes this issue can be very annoying when I am in a nice work flow.

I will forward you my config settings.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/26/2012 01:45:22

Pim, are you using the stay always-on-top button at all?

Do you enable the stay-on-top status manually for some programs?

Do you have several programs with enabled stay always-on-top status at the same time?

Is the spontaneous changing of the status more from enabled-to-disabled or more disabled-to-enabled?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 11/27/2012 10:29:32

Hello Bogdan,

are you using the stay always-on-top button at all?
I do not exactly understand what you mean. Do you mean (1) whether I am using it when the status changes, or do you really mean "at all" as in (2) ever. The answers are: (1) no, not when the status spontaneously changes, not for any program; (2) yes, regularly.

Do you enable the stay-on-top status manually for some programs?
Yes, I do. See also my previous answer.

Do you have several programs with enabled stay always-on-top status at the same time?
No.

Is the spontaneous changing of the status more from enabled-to-disabled or more disabled-to-enabled?
I have only noticed it happening from disabled-to-enabled. It does not mean however that the reverse could not happen. However, most of the time stay always-on-top is disabled for all of the many windows that I have open, so purely from a statistical viewpoint the chance of it happening from disabled-to-enabled is much, much bigger than the chance of it happening from enabled-to-disabled.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/26/2012 00:20:15

Hello Pim.

I was unable to reproduce the issue.

Could you check whether the problem persists with the AWM 7.4 beta 1?

As i understand you usually have one window with the "Stay Always-On-Top". But when other window became always-on-top by itself, does the status for the first window with stay always-on-top change?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 12/26/2012 04:11:30

Hello Bogdan,

Thank you for your response. I believe it persists with AWM 7.4 final (you probably meant that version instead of beta 1). I am not 100% sure as I do not recall exactly when I last encountered it and whether it was after I updated to AWM 7.4 final. I will let you know as soon as I know for certain.

As i understand you usually have one window with the "Stay Always-On-Top".
No, that is not correct. I use Stay-always-on-top, but not that often. When this issue occurred I never had a window with Stay Always-On-Top.

But when other window became always-on-top by itself, does the status for the first window with stay always-on-top change?
This question is not relevant anymore, because the situation is different as I described in the previous paragraph.

I will keep you updated if I find any new information.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 12/29/2012 07:38:18

Hello Bogdan,

I just had it happen again, this time with AWM 7.4 final, so I am 100% certain now that the issue persists in the latest version. Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce the issue  :(  As promised I will report back if I can get a grip on when it happens.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login