Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login

Topic: «Clicking the Start Button, Menu Appears on Wrong Monitor » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 5288

macman104

Posted: 07/17/2012 09:39:26

Windows 7 Ultimate, x64
AWM 7.2b1

This is an intermittent problem that I have yet to actually pinpoint the source.   But occasionally, I think usually upon waking the computer from sleep mode, if I click the start button on my toolbar, the start menu actually appears on my second monitor.  So far the only way I've found to solve this is to restart the computer.

I just wanted to bring it up, see if anyone else has noticed the problem or knows of the source.  I'll try and be more attentive to what actions cause it next time it occurs.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/17/2012 22:31:27

Hello macman104.

Do you mean the start menu begins to appear on the secondary monitor and appears there each time you bring it or it happens single time and then works normally?

Does the start menu appear on the secondary regardless of how it was activated (the start button on the primary, on the secondary, the Windows key with the mouse pointer on the different monitors)?

Best regards.

macman104

Posted: 08/15/2012 22:42:58

Hi Bogdan,

Yes, I mean that when I click the start button in my main monitor, or hit the windows key, the start menu comes up on the secondary monitor.  Nothing I do changes it.  The only ways I've been able to solve it have been to restart my computer.

I do quite often do a lot of resuming my computer from sleeping, along with unplugging/plugging my computer into various secondary monitors.  I have not seen it happen recently however.  When it does happen again, are there steps I can take or logs I can obtain to help diagnose the problem?  It almost seems like somehow AWM is confused which monitor my mouse is on.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/02/2012 22:30:20

Hello macman104.

Do you mean that even unloading of AWM doesn't help?

Are you sure this problem is associated with AWM?

Do you switch between the monitors during computer is sleeping?

Best regards.

macman104

Posted: 09/02/2012 22:35:19

Hmmm, actually I have not tried stopping/starting AWM, next time it happens I can do that.  

I am quite sure that the issue is caused by AWM, because only when AWM is running does my second monitor have a taskbar to even use.

I do sometimes switch the 2nd monitor while the computer is sleeping.  Although, I know positively it has happened when I have not switched out the 2nd monitor, but simply resumed from a sleep state.

Let me know if there is any log/file I can collect or data collection I can initiate next time it happens, and I'll be happy to do so.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/03/2012 03:11:34

I'm afraid there is nothing you can collect that can help us to figure out what the problem is.

Tell me please, when you're trying to bring the start menu from the secondary, does it appear on the secondary too?

Martyn Kenyon
Advanced user

Posted: 09/03/2012 03:17:42

Hi,

I've seen this problem too.  I use StartMenuX so was not sure if it was that or AWM.

When I get the problem, frequently if I click start again I get the menu on the correct screen.  Also, I have a suspicion that it can depend on whereabouts on the start button you click.  I get better if I click low down on the button, but I can't say if this is just chance or not

Martyn

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/26/2012 00:44:16

Hello gentlemen.

macman104, are you running any third-party software like StartMenuX or Classic Start Menu to manage the start menu?

Martyn Kenyon, what version of StartMenuX are you running? Are there steps to reproduce the problem?

Best regards.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 10/02/2012 10:59:56

Bodgan,

Same issue as the 2 other threads about Start Orb issues.

No 3rd parties installed, completely default install on 2 seperate PC's.  Both have same issue.

As soon as I reinstall 7.2, everything works fine again.

macman104

Posted: 11/26/2012 10:26:46

Hi Bogdan, I do not have any 3rd parties installed.  However, the issue is disappeared for me now because I'm on windows 8, and there is no longer a start button to click :)

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login