New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 21 - 30 of 36
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Title bar buttons in Internet Explorer 64-bit? , Title bar buttons do not show in Internet Explorer 64-bit. » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 83305

Dariusz Tatarski

Posted: 05/28/2010 12:28:25

This issue is still there with AWM 6.1 beta 2!

Initially after installing beta 2 I had the title bar buttons in IE 64-bit. Until first reboot!

After the reboot the title bar buttons are gone and never appear in IE 64-bit, just like in previous beta.

It almost seems like a fresh install clears the problem (it happened also when I installed AMM 2.1), but only temporarily.

Dariusz Tatarski

Posted: 06/01/2010 18:28:56

To check the "fix by installing" hypothesis, I re-installed AWM 6.1 beta 2. The buttons in IE 64-bit started working and worked for a while after re-install (I am not exactly sure how long, but beyond a couple of reboots). Then stopped working again, just disappeared 8^)

Looks like, if you re-install every 2 days or so, everything works 8^)

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/01/2010 20:37:57

Dariusz,

Did the custom beta 1 (installed from aim61b1_noUIA) work correctly after reboot?

Dariusz Tatarski

Posted: 06/01/2010 23:00:17

Alexander,

I suppose it did. I am not 100% sure though. And I cannot check any more, since this version expired now.

And it is not "after reboot". The title bar buttons in IE 64-bit work after every re-install of AWM for some time and through a couple of reboots, too. I just verified it yet again: they were not working for the 3rd time (beta 2) and are working again after another re-install.

I am trying to figure out the pattern, but it is not obvious...

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/03/2010 21:33:34

Dariusz,

Could you please check if the IE issue is fixed in the version 6.1?
During the installation please make sure "Support administrative tools" option is not checked (this option is in the "Select additional tasks" page). In this case, the AWM will behave in the same way as that Non-UIA beta version.

One more thing. I think that the problem with the Start menu closely relates to the IE issues. Please also test the Start menu.

Dariusz Tatarski

Posted: 06/05/2010 17:05:52

No, 6.1 has not fixed the problem.

Everything went pretty much as standard (I am developing some experience here...): after install, the buttons in IE 64-bit re-appeared, then disappeared again. This time they worked unusually short time, disappeared after a couple of hours (not sure how long, I only use IE occasionally, main browser is Firefox) even before reboot.

The only change after installing 6.1 is that now I have the nag screen on start-up.

BTW, the Start Menu so far works as it should (appears on the monitor from which it was clicked).

And yes, I followed your instructions during install (left the option unchecked).

Dariusz Tatarski

Posted: 06/08/2010 14:36:19

Another (related?) observation.

It perhaps should be posted under a separate thread. It is not about IE 64-bit.

But it involves moving from a 32-bit version of an application to a 64-bit version:

I used to have Diskeeper 2009 32-bit (this is based on the Microsoft Management Console) residing in C:\Program Files (x86)\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\ which I recently upgraded to Diskeeper 2010 64-bit now residing in C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\.

After the upgrade (and move from 32-bit app to 64-bit app) the Diskeeper console no longer shows the AWM title bar buttons in its title bar.

What gives?

Dariusz Tatarski

Posted: 06/26/2010 19:20:43

Follow-up.

I am becoming more and more convinced that this behaviour (no title bar buttons) has more to do with the way AWM is being installed rather than with the way it works once in place.

Why? See the following.

Recently I started having problems with the right click functionality of the Windows explorer (explorer.exe). Specifically, right clicking on the folder in the Start Menu and then selecting "open" or "explore" (or "open all users" or "explore all users") from the drop-down would cause explorer.exe to crash and needing to be restarted. I followed a suggestion that stipulated this was due to a poorly coded shell extender (specifically context menu) and with some investigative work (disabling context menus one by one and checking if the crash still occurs) I found the offending context menu and deleted it.

Result: explorer.exe has become fully functional again and the AWM title bar buttons started to appear (and function correctly) in IE64 and Diskeeper 2010 again, after 3 weeks! They have been working OK for 3 days now with multiple system shutdowns and reboots.

Notice that I made absolutely no changes to AWM nor did I re-install it. The only change to the system was to Windows explorer's shell extenders, namely a removal of a context menu (totally unrelated to AWM) that was causing problems.

AWM 6.1 unregistered, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Greg Webb
Advanced user

Posted: 06/26/2010 19:33:57

Alex,

The issue reported by Dariusz Tatarski sounds very similar to the one I had with ButtonBoogie. I also 'fixed' the problem by delaying the auto start of ButtonBoogie, allowing AWM to get started.

If AWM is susceptable to other startup programs then, even though they may be poorly coded, is there something that AWM can do? For example, if AWM was to assume it is starting in a 'hostile' environment then steps could be taken to make the startup process more resilient to non-conforming startups.

On the evidence of these two reports, you may be looking at more startups that clash with AWM that won't be discovered until after the next release.

Dariusz Tatarski

Posted: 06/26/2010 23:35:09

Greg (and Alex),

I have just installed AWM 6.2 beta 1.

Result: back to no title bar buttons in IE 64-bit and Diskeeper 2010 64-bit.

The only system change was the installing of AWM 6.2 beta 1 over the AWM 6.1 (unregistered).

Messages 21 - 30 of 36
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register